1/2 +1/8 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar minus 2 tablespoons
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour (120 grams)
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP cocoa (1/4 cup regular, 2 TBSP dutch process; 38 g total)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 1 TBSP milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup boiling water
1) Preheat oven to 375. Butter pans, line with parchment, and dust with cocoa powder.
2) Sift dry ingredients together, and mix with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer on low to combine.
3) Add eggs, milk, vanilla, and oil and beat on medium speed two minutes
4) Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
5) Bake for about 20-25 min, until tester comes out clean.
6) Let cool in pan for ten minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 stick butter, at room temperature
enough milk or cream to make spreading consistency
Beat all ingredients except milk on low speed until combined, then keep beating and add milk slowly until desired spreading consistency is achieved.