Friday, April 30, 2010

Mexican Rice

I wouldn’t consider myself an overly enthusiastic lover of Mexican food, but the number of times that lonestar taqueria appears on my bank statement each month and the many combinations of beans, cheese, tortillas, and vegetables that regularly grace my dinner table would prove me wrong.

This rice is one of the staples in my Mexican food repertoire. I always make it to serve with enchiladas, since all that sauce is just begging to be sopped up by something. You could also serve it alongside tacos or inside one of those huge southwestern burritos. Possibilities are endless here, people.

Mexican Rice (from allrecipes.com)



½ small white or yellow onion, finely diced
About 1 tsp. oil (one turn of the pan)
3 oz. canned diced tomatoes
2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 ½ cups water
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt

1) In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and saute until translucent.

2) Pour the rice into the pan and stir to coat grains with oil. Mix in cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, salt and water.

3) Cover, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cook at a simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until rice is done and liquid is absorbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment