Monday, October 12, 2009

Peach Cobbler

I have mixed feelings about fruit desserts. I love fruit pies, crisps, cobblers and the like, but I just can't bring myself to make them most of the time. Fresh fruit(when it's in season) is so good on its own that adding the extra sugar and fat seems downright wasteful. In my book, the more mediocre and readily-available fruits like apples are fine to tamper with, but when it comes to sweet, delicate specimens such as peaches, nectarines, berries, etc. my policy has always been to leave well enough alone.

As you can tell from the title of this post, I strayed from that policy a couple of weeks ago by baking peach cobbler. My excuse is that my in-laws have a peach tree and were kind enough to give us a case of them one evening. Mike and I feasted on fresh peaches for the next few days, but it soon became apparent that we weren't going to finish them before they spoiled: a perfect reason to try out a peach cobbler recipe.

This cobbler is a very traditional one- a sweet biscuit-like topping with fresh peaches bubbling in their juices underneath. Mike prefers the made-with-a-cake-mix-and-sprite take on peach cobbler that is usually made in a dutch oven, but I find it to be way too sweet and overpowering for my taste. This version is more complex and lets the peaches dominate the flavor of the dessert.

Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:
8 large peaches* (I think I only used about 5 or 6)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder

1)Grease 8'' square baking pan
2)Peel and slice peaches into pan
3)Combine remaining ingredients to make a dough (I used the paddle attachment on my Kitchen Aid, but you could use a hand mixer or even just a spoon)
4) Crumble dough on top of peaches
5) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (mine took a little longer- more like 40 or 45 minutes- but that might be because my oven is a piece of crap).

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

*If your peaches aren't terribly sweet (mine weren't) toss them with a tablespoon or two of sugar before putting the dough on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment